Who is a Gynaecologist?

Gynaecologists specialize in the reproductive health of women. A gynaecologist treats and diagnoses any problem or disease of the female reproductive system (which includes the ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, vagina, cervix, and vulva).

Gynaecologists deal with a variety of female reproductive problems, including the following:

  • Endometriosis
  • Uterine fibroids
  • PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)
  • Sexually transmitted diseases (HIV/AIDS, gonorrhea, herpes, and syphilis)
  • Interstitial cystitis
  • Gynaecologic cancers (such as cervical cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, vaginal cancer, vulvar cancer)
  • Vulvovaginitis
  • Menstruation problems (dysmenorrhea, menorrhagia, oligomenorrhea, and amenorrhea)
  • Ectopic pregnancy
  • Issues related to fertility, contraception, sterilization, menopause, and pregnancy termination
  • Sexual dysfunction
  • Pelvic Inflammatory Disease

As part of their practice, some gynaecologists also serve as obstetricians, providing care throughout pregnancy and delivery. A gynaecologist with expertise in obstetrics is referred to as an OB-GYN.

To detect and treat a specific female reproductive system disease, gynaecologists may undertake the following screening tests and examinations:

  • Pelvic exam
  • Pap Smear Test
  • Breast Exam

Additionally, gynaecologists can perform a variety of surgeries, including:

  • Hysterectomy
  • Oophorectomy
  • Laparoscopy
  • Cystoscopy
  • Laparotomy
  • Tubal ligation

What Does It Take to Become a Gynaecologist?

To become a gynaecologist, you must have finished class XII with physics, chemistry, and biology as major subjects. An applicant must possess the following:

Related Articles
  • For MBBS admissions, take the NEET UG.
  • Pass the admission exam and show up for the counseling session.
  • Choose a college from the list and apply. Complete your undergraduate studies.
  • Finish the required internship.
  • Fill up an application for the NEET PG.
  • Clear the way and go to the counseling session.
  • Choose a college from the list and apply. Complete the obstetrics and gynecology specialization.
  • Get your master’s degree.
  • You are now qualified to work in a hospital or clinic.


Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button