Webinar on Antibiotics Awareness Week 2022
World Antimicrobial Awareness Week (WAAW) declared by World Health Organization (WHO) is being celebrated this year i.e., in 2022. Awareness was raised to eradicate antimicrobial resistance and the better usage of antimicrobial drugs. “Antimicrobials- Handle with Care” serves as a Slogan for this week. It explains the prominence of antibiotics usage.
World Antimicrobial Awareness Week (WAAW) is a global campaign celebrated annually to raise awareness and encourage the best practices among health stakeholders and policymakers who play a crucial role in reducing and spreading Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR).
Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) is a natural phenomenon where antibiotics are being suggested for treatment purposes. For example, it is very difficult to deal with recurring infections as the antibiotics used for that infection repeat and the antimicrobials spread effectively.
All sectors must encourage and work on the prudent usage of antimicrobials. It also strengthens the preventive measures addressing Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) and works for a collaborative healthy approach.
Drivers of Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR)
Multi-drug resistance (MDR) is a global alarming trend that is vastly spread among hospitals and healthcare units, spreading assistance with Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR). This resistance spreads across generations resulting in genetic alterations in humans.
The below factors that help in reducing antimicrobials usage are:
- Ensure proper hygiene and sanitation facilities in healthcare clinics.
- Implement the best practices among the food and diary management industries.
- Checking the surveillance of antimicrobial infections.
- Accessing the quality of affordable medication, vaccination and diagnostics.
- Knowledge and Awareness must be spread globally regarding Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) and Multi-drug Resistance (MDR).
Why Prevention of Antimicrobial Usage?
Prevention implies the reduction of antimicrobial usage and the other alternatives that helps in reducing the chances of infection. It is termed as a cost-effective procedure among low and middle-income countries who cannot afford the heavier costs of medication.
The prominent events planned are:
- Join for Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) and go for “Blue” marks as solidarity support for WAAW.
- Opting for Ethnoveterinary medication serves as a potential alternative use.
MedPiper Technologies and JournoMed are conducting a Webinar on “World Antibiotics Awareness Week” in association with the All India Institute of Hygiene and Public Health, Kolkata. The theme of the Webinar will be “Preventing Antimicrobial Resistance Together.” The event will be held on 24th November 2022, Thursday at 3.30 pm. Participants can register here and they will receive e-certificates. After registering, a confirmation email would be sent regarding joining the webinar. For more details contact Soumya at email@example.com / 9080078447
- Dr Sayan Bhattacharyya, MD Microbiology (PGIMER Chandigarh) Associate Professor, Department of Microbiology, All India Institute of Hygiene and Public Health, Kolkata and Chief Editor of Eastern Journal of Medical Sciences.
This webinar will address the topics of World Antibiotic Awareness Week History, Surprising Facts about Antibiotic Resistance, and the Significance of Antibiotic Awareness Week.