Valsartan oral tablet is available under the brand names Valzaar, Valent, and Diovan and is a generic drug. The drug is prescribed for Hypertension (high blood pressure). In addition, it treats heart attacks, strokes and heart failures. It increases the chances of survival of heart patients.
IUPAC Name: (2S)-3-methyl-2-[pentanoyl-[[4-[2-(2H-tetrazol-5-yl) phenyl] phenyl] methyl] amino] butanoic acid
Drug Class: Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARB) (Tetrazole derivative)
Route of Administration for Drug: Oral
Prescription is mandatory to purchase this drug and it’s an OTC drug.
Drug Action Mechanism
This medication is an angiotensin II receptor blocker. It works by lowering blood pressure, by relaxing and widening the blood vessels i.e., veins and arteries and allowing blood to flow more smoothly and the heart pumps blood more effectively
The adverse effect of valsartan includes lightheadedness, headaches, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, coughing, hyperkalemia and hypotension
At a Glance
- This medicine is not suggested for pregnant women as it is unsafe for developing a fetus
- Avoid the usage of this medicine with aliskiren (direct renin inhibitor), if the patient is diabetic
- If the patient is allergic to Valsartan or other angiotensin receptor blockers, or if the patient has other allergies, If the patient is under prescribed, non-prescribed or herbal medication. If the patient suffers from cardiac, hepatic, renal, dehydration or a high blood potassium level and a low-sodium diet. The potassium levels might increase if the patient uses this medication. Avoid the consumption of potassium-rich products.
- Due to major side effects, this medication is not prescribed for children.
- If the patient has undergone any type of surgery while taking this medication, limit alcohol usage since it develops the chances of blurred vision or dizziness. The patient thus can’t be alert. There are chances of dehydration and diarrhoea which lowers the blood pressure and causes loss of consciousness.
- The adverse effects of this medicine might affect even the older generation.
Valsartan drug can be administered lifelong even after the doctor’s prescription stops. It doesn’t cure high blood pressure or heart failure completely, but it controls them. Valsartan is safe during lactation.