This medication is used to regulate normal menstrual periods that have stopped for several months (amenorrhea).It is used with estrogen as a component of Hormone Replacement Therapy. It is used by women who are unable to conceive, used to treat infertility in women. It helps to prevent the risk of developing uterine cancer.

IUPAC name: (8S,9S,10R,13S,14S,17S)-17-acetyl-10,13-dimethyl-1,2,6,7,8,9,11,12,14,15,16,17-dodecahydro cyclopenta[a]phenanthren-3-one


Related Articles

Drug class: Progestins

Route of administration: Oral, vaginal, intramuscular

Is it a drug that needs a prescription? YES

Is it an OTC drug? NO


This medication is a type of female hormone, progestin. It works by regulating the condition of the endometrium of the uterus. It is used with the hormone estrogen to oppose estrogen in combination hormone replacement therapy to reduce menopause symptoms ( like hot flashes).


Common side effects: bloating, headache, nausea, alteration in vaginal discharge, breast tenderness, dizziness, joint/muscle/bone pain.

Serious side effects: vaginal bleeding, painful urination, abdominal pain, depression, melasma, jaundice, dark urine, blood clots, double/blurred vision, coughing up blood, weakness, shortness of breath, swelling of arms/legs.


Following precautions should be taken before using this medication:

  1. If you are allergic to this medication, or any other medications, or if you are allergic to peanut oil.
  2. If you have or ever had a medical history of breast lumps and cancer, vaginal bleeding, blood clots, kidney disease, heart disease ( heart attack, coronary heart disease, congestive heart failure), liver disease, migraine, high blood pressure (hypertension), seizures, depression, obesity, asthma, diabetes, high cholesterol level, loss of pregnancy.
  3. Avoid smoking. It will increase the risk of blood clots, high blood pressure, stroke/ heart attacks.
  4. It may cause melasma, avoid going out in the sunlight as it may worsen the effect.
  5. This medication may be used in pregnancy, consult your doctor.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Check Also
Back to top button