The drug is prescribed to treat Hypertension (high blood pressure). In addition, it helps to prevent heart attacks, strokes and congestive heart failure in individuals with stable coronary artery disease.
IUPAC name: (2S,3aS,7aS)-1-[(2S)-2-[[(2S)-1-ethoxy-1-oxopentan-2-yl] amino] propanoyl]-2,3,3a,4,5,6,7,7a-octahydroindole-2-carboxylic acid; 2-methylpropan-2-amine
Drug Class: ACE Inhibitor
Route of administration: Oral
This is a prescribed drug and not an OTC drug
Drug Action Mechanism
- This medication is an Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme (ACE) Inhibitor. It works by inhibiting an enzyme that causes blood vessels to constrict.
- It functions by relaxation of blood vessels (i.e., arteries and veins), lowering heart pressure, allowing blood to flow more smoothly and the heart to pump blood more effectively.
Captopril side effects include dizziness, coughing, exhaustion, rapid heartbeat, fainting, hypotension (low blood pressure) and elevated potassium levels.
Avoid using this medication, if the person is pregnant. Consult a doctor if the person becomes pregnant while taking this drug since it might damage the developing fetus.
Before using this medication, follow these precautions and notify a doctor.
- If the person is allergic to the drug or other ACE inhibitors (such as enalapril, lisinopril, captopril, benazepril, moexipril), or if the person has other allergies,
- If the person is taking any other medication i.e., prescribed, non-prescribed, or any herbal medication,
- If the person is suffering from any cardiac disease, hepatic disease, renal disease, hypotension (low blood pressure), diabetes, angioedema, scleroderma, lupus or a high blood potassium level,
- There might be an increase in potassium levels if one uses this medication. Avoid potassium-rich substitutes,
- If you have undergone any type of surgery i.e., eye or dental surgery,
- While taking this medication, limit alcohol usage since it increases the chances of developing blurred vision, dizziness or drowsiness. It may also cause a loss of alertness.
- The person must be aware that dehydration, vomiting, excessive perspiration and diarrhoea can lower blood pressure which leads to dizziness,
- Avoid abruptly discontinuing this medication without any doctor consultation,
- The adverse effects of this medication may affect elder people more severely.
- Consult a doctor if the person is pregnant or breastfeeding.