This drug is used to treat depression and fibromyalgia, a disorder that causes pain and stiffness in the muscles all over the body.
IUPAC name: (1R,2S)-2-(aminomethyl)-N,N-diethyl-1-phenylcyclopropane-1-carboxamide
Drug class: Serotonin and noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors (SNRI)
Route of administration: Oral
Is it a drug that needs a prescription? YES
Is it an OTC drug? NO
Mechanism of action
This drug works by inhibiting neuronal reuptake of serotonin and noradrenaline in the brain. As a result, the levels of these neurotransmitters increase, helping in the restoration and maintenance of mental stability and helping in the cessation of pain signals moving through the brain
It may cause nausea, vomiting, constipation, increased sweating, loss of appetite, dizziness, hot flashes, headache, fatigue, weight loss, blurred vision, changes in sexual ability.
Milnacipran is generally not recommended for use in children under the age of 18, as it may have unforeseen effects on their mental health.
Avoid abruptly discontinuing this medication without first talking to your doctor.
This medication should not be taken within 14 days after taking MAO inhibitors (including moclobemide, phenelzine, isocarboxazid, selegiline, tranylcypromine, etc).
Before using this medication, take the following precautions and notify your doctor:
- If you are allergic to it or to other antidepressants (including amitriptyline, moclobemide, trazodone), or if you have other allergies,
- If you are taking any other medication (prescribed, non-prescribed, or herbal products), especially pain reliever or pain killer,
- If you have a history of cardiac disease (heart attack, congestive heart failure, hypertension), kidney problems, liver disease, glaucoma, hypertension (high blood pressure), unusual suicidal thoughts, low sodium level in the blood, urination problem, seizures, stomach ulcer,
- If you have undergone any type of surgery,
- Use of this medication may cause hypertension (high blood pressure).
- Limit your alcohol usage since it increases your chances of developing blurred vision, dizziness, or drowsiness. It may also cause a loss of alertness.
- This drug’s adverse effects are more severe in older adults.
- Consult your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.