This medication is used to treat hypertension and pre-eclampsia.
IUPAC name: (2S)-2-amino-3-(3,4-dihydroxyphenyl)-2-methylpropanoic acid
Drug class: Antihypertensive
Product type: Tablet
Is it a drug that needs a prescription? YES
Is it an OTC drug? NO
Mechanism of action
Methyldopa has alpha-2 agonist properties. This medicine works by relaxing blood vessels, allowing blood to flow more freely throughout the body. As a result, the hypertension is lowered.
Methyldopa commonly causes headaches, dizziness, weakness, drowsiness, unusual tiredness, and fever.
Following precautions should be taken before using this medication and notify your doctor:
- Consult your doctor if you are allergic to this drug or any other medication, or if you have any other type of allergy.
- If you are currently taking any other medications (including prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, and herbal supplements),
- If you have a history of hepatic disease (cirrhosis, hepatitis), renal problems, anemia, or heart failure,
- If you are using methyldopa, avoid taking iron supplements.
- Use of this drug in aged persons should be avoided (65 or above).
- Avoid drinking alcohol because it induces drowsiness.
- If you are having surgery
Use of methyldopa in pregnancy:
This medication can be used in pregnancy after the completion of the first trimester.