This medication is mainly used to treat symptoms of Type 2 diabetes.
This medication is used to cause weight loss in obese women with PCOS which significantly improves the regularity of periods in PCOS women.
Drug class: Antidiabetic drug
Is it a drug that needs a prescription? YES
Is it an OTC drug? NO
Mechanism of action
Liraglutide works by increasing the release of insulin in the presence of elevated glucose concentrations which decrease the blood glucose level.
Common side effects may include:
- upset stomach
Serious side effects may occur:
- change in the amount of urine
- yellowing of eyes/skin
- signs of low blood sugar ( sweating, hunger, blurred vision)
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor:
- If you are allergic to it or if you have any allergies.
- If you have a low blood sugar level.
- If you have a medical history of kidney disease, pancreatitis, depression, gastroparesis, stomach disorder.
- If you are taking any other medications (including prescription medication, nonprescription medicine, and herbal products).
- During pregnancy, this medication should be avoided.