GEM Hospital Chennai has launched the Centre of Excellence for Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgery of Hernia and Abdominal Wall Reconstruction, which is a speciality centre for hernia care. The hospital, which first introduced laparoscopic hernia surgery in 1992, celebrated 30 years by launching the dedicated centre for hernia care.
Newer technology and advanced technique have brought a revolution in surgery more so hernia treatment Laparoscopy and robotic surgery provides a lot of advantages in hernia surgery.
Advantages of Laparoscopic Hernia repair
- Painless, short hospital stay (daycare) and faster recovery
- Early resuming routine work including strenuous work, sports
- Wound related problems are avoided
- No Mesh infection
- Achieves complete cure without recurrence
- Better Quality of life
Abdominal wall reconstruction and hernia repair
- lntraperitoneal Hernioplasty IPOM plus recurrence less than 0.6% in 2005
- No recurrence
- Retrorectus Hernioplasty eTEP
- Transversus Abdominis Muscle release TAR
- Anterior Component Separation + IPOM Plus
- Mesh is placed under muscle outside the peritoneal cavity
- Mesh not exposed to intestine no adhesion no pain. No recurrence.
- The abdomen of Indian females become flabby which is associated with weakness and divarication recti having a hanging abdominal wall.
- Laparoscopic plication with mesh reinforcement Improves comfort and abdominal wall function.
- GERD gastroesophageal reflux very common & esophageal hiatal hernia
- Sleeplessness, belching and burning pain occurs
It not only disturbs daily life but also increases chances of cancer in the food pipe namely oesophageal cancer Laparoscopic Fundoplication
Diaphragmatic hernia – This may be due to congenital defects or trauma. Laparoscopic mesh repair saves the problem.
Types of repair:
Groin Hernia repair
27% of men groin develop a hernia in their lifetime and a majority of them are between 20 & 50 years. In the past, open was the standard approach.
10% develop recurrence. Recurrence increases many times following repair for recurrence.
Abdominal wall hernia
40-50% develop incisional hernia after open surgery
30% develop recurrence. Re-recurrence still more
Types of surgery for Hernia repair
Open surgery, Laparoscopic, Henrioplasty and Robotic hernioplasty
GEM achievement and world records
- Laparoscopic hernia repair introduced first time in India at Coimbatore in 1992
- Introduced IPOM Plus augmented hernia repair as the standard of care for incisional hernia Combined with bariatric surgery and abdominal wall hernia
- Diaphragmatic hernia, laparoscopic repair first time in the world.
- World record of maximum lap hernia repairs in a single day