Famotidine, an Antacid Drug for Gastric Issues
Brand name: Famocid, Famtac, Fadine, Facid, Famolet, Topcid, Famocer, Femo, Famonext
The following oesophagal and stomach problems can be treated using this medication
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), aka Acid Reflux,
- Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome
- Stomach ulcers or Peptic ulcers
- Stress ulcer
IUPAC Name: 3- [[2-(diamino methylidene amino)-1,3-thiazol-4-yl] methyl sulfanyl]-N‘-sulfamoyl propane imidamide
Drug Class: H2 Antihistamine
Route of administration: Oral, Intravenous
This is a prescribed drug and an OTC drug as well
Drug Action Mechanism
Famotidine is an H2 antihistamine that acts as a gastric acid secretion inhibitor, reducing the quantity of gastric acid in the stomach and preventing acid injury to the oesophagus and stomach. Additionally, it aids in the prevention of ulcers and heartburn.
It is advisable to consult a doctor or physician before taking this medication.
- If the person is allergic to the drug or other H2 antihistamines (including cimetidine, nizatidine and roxatidine) or has any other allergies,
- If the person is taking any prescribed, non-prescribed or herbal medications,
- If the person is suffering from a hepatic illness (liver disease), kidney disease, immune system disease, COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), asthma, diabetes, stomach issues,
- Additionally, using this drug may exacerbate the symptoms of severe illnesses, such as heartburn, lightheadedness, shoulder pain, excessive perspiration, chest pain, nausea, jaw pain and stomach pain,
- Limit the usage of alcohol since it increases the chances of developing blurred vision, dizziness or drowsiness, it may also cause a loss of alertness.
- The adverse effects of this medication may affect elder people more severely
- Consult a doctor if the person is pregnant or breastfeeding,
- If the patient has undergone any type of surgery i.e., eye or dental surgery,
- Unless recommended by a doctor, avoid using this medication to treat children under the age of 12.
Famotidine side effects include dizziness, headache, constipation, gas, and diarrhoea.