The clinical trial supply market is expected to register a CAGR of 8.5% over the forecast period, 2022-2027. COVID-19 pandemic has had a substantial impact on the clinical trial supply market initially. The strict lockdowns and government regulations intended to slow down the spread of COVID-19 resulted in reduced demand for products across aesthetic segments. Hence, the pandemic has affected the market’s growth adversely in its preliminary phase. However, the market is expected to gain traction due to the significant increase in the clinical trial supply globally.
The clinical trials supply market includes various tools that overall contribute to conducting scientific research experiments and investigations. The commonly used products in the clinical trials supply market are infusion pumps, nebulizers, and needles. These are used for conducting trials which are used for detecting, and treating diseases. These products are extremely useful in carrying out respiratory, cardiological, and oncological procedures.
Clinical trial management has a vital role in the pharmaceutical R&D sector. CTOs (Clinical Trial Organizations) are responsible to carry out clinical trials of new drugs. This clinical trial supply market is globalized due to its better supply. The rise of various biopharmaceutical companies into the market have augmented the ever-growing clinical trial supply market.
Diseases such as HIV and cancer and CROs (Contract Research Organization) are driving the market growth. CROs approach pharmaceutical and biotechnological companies and thus increasing the demand for clinical trial supply market. The developing R&D sector is funded by governmental and non-governmental sectors which is also another reason for the increase in supply.
Scope of the Study
The scope of Clinical Trial supply industry is growing rapidly and clinical trials are increasingly being performed across several countries. Clinical trials are the studies to check the safety and efficacy of new drugs first on animals followed by humans as a part of the drug development process.
Clinical Trials are usually conducted by CRO in four phases.
- Phase 1, in which a small group of patients is involved
- Phase 2 (up to 300)
- Phase 3 (300-1000) in which a comparatively large number of patients are tested.
- Phase 4 is called post-market surveillance.
Among all the phases, phase -3 has the highest growth rate.
Clinical Trial Market Segmentation
The clinical trial supply market is segmented into the following
- Clinical Phase outlook (Phase 1, 2, 3, and others),
- Clinical Trials Product Outlook (Manufacturing, Storage, and Distribution, Supply Chain Management),
- Clinical Trial Therapeutic-use Outlook (Oncology, CNS, Infectious Disease, Metabolic Disorder, Cardiovascular and other),
- Clinical Trail End-use outlook (Oncology, CNS, Infectious Disease, Metabolic Disorder, Cardiovascular and Other).
- Geography (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Middle East, Africa, and South America). The market report also covers the estimated market sizes and trends for 17 different countries across major regions, globally. The report offers the value (in USD million) for the above segments.
Clinical Trial Supply Segment is Expected to Witness Growth Over the Forecast Period
The global clinical trial supply and logistics market is estimated to surpass US$ 27.59 Billion by 2026. Biologics are expected to witness significantly high growth because of the increase in research activities such as nanoparticle-based drug delivery systems in the field of genetics and biotechnology. Catalent Pharma Solution collaborated with Valerius Biopharma, a Swiss-based pharmaceutical company for developing various biologics products in 2018. This will drive the direct growth of the clinical trials supply market over the forecast period.
North America had the largest regional market for clinical trial supplies till 2020.
Geographically, clinical trial supply market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and RoW. In 2020, it was estimated that North America had the largest market for clinical trial supply market. The growing number of registered clinical trials due to the presence of a large number of CROs has driven the clinical trial supply market in North America. Pharmaceutical companies such as Pfizer, Abbott Labs, and Johnson & Johnson are present in North America and are responsible for the largest regional market supply.
The Clinical Trial Supply market is fragmented in nature due to the presence of several companies operating globally and regionally. The competitive landscape includes the analyses of a few international and local companies which hold the market shares. Key players in the clinical trial supplies market include Thermo Fisher Scientific (US), Catalent, Inc. (US), Parexel (US), Almac Group (UK), Marken (US), Piramal Pharma Solutions (India), and UDG Healthcare (Ireland).
- In April 2021, Thermo Fisher announced plans to acquire PPD to enhance its offerings in clinical research services and to support clinical trials
- In April 2021, Parexel collaborated with Veeva Systems to improve their clinical processes for clinical trial delivery and enhance Veeva’s cloud technology