This drug is used for the treatment of hyperprolactinemia (high levels of prolactin hormone in your body). Prolactin is a natural hormone that helps breastfeeding women to produce milk. High levels of prolactin can cause symptoms like infertility, unwanted breast milk, missed periods.
IUPAC name: 1-[(6-allylergolin-8ß-yl)-carbonyl]-1-[3-(dimethylamino)-propyl]-3-ethylurea
Drug class: Dopamine receptor agonist
Brand name: Dostinex
Is it a drug that needs a prescription? YES
Is it an Over The Counter Drug? NO
Route of administration: Oral (comes as a tablet )
MECHANISM OF ACTION
This medication works by stopping the brain from releasing prolactin hormone from the pituitary gland. It is an ergot-derived long-acting dopamine receptor agonist having a high affinity for the D2 receptor.
Some common side effects that may be caused by this medication are as follows: vomiting, nausea, tiredness, stomach upset, constipation, dizziness, breast pain.
Some serious side effects that may be caused by cabergoline are as follows: trouble breathing, persistent cough, pain in the chest, abnormal vision, shortness of breath, swelling of feet/ankles and hands, symptoms of kidney problem (alteration in the amount of urine), pain in the back.
Signs and symptoms of overdose of cabergoline are as follows: fainting, hallucinations, dizziness.
Before using this medication tell your doctor:
- If you are allergic to cabergoline; or to other ergot medications (including ergotamine, dihydroergotamine, ergoloid mesylates, methysergide); or any other medication or ingredient in cabergoline.
- If you are taking other medications such as prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, herbal drug products, multivitamins, nutritional supplements.
- If you have ever had a medical history of hypertension, liver disease, heart valve disease, abnormal thickening in the lining of your lung, heart, or abdomen.
- Limit alcoholic consumption as it makes you drowsy, loss of alertness may occur.
- This medication should be taken when needed during pregnancy.
- This medication may slow or stop breast milk production. This medication is not recommended during breastfeeding.